Hazelnut Brown Butter Slab Pie
With fall harvest flavours, this stunning hazelnut brown butter slab pie with pears and cranberries will wow any Thanksgiving crowd.
Featured ID Flavor: Hazelnut
Pie Pastry: In bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening with pastry cutter or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk together egg yolk and 1/2 cup (125 mL) ice water; using fork, stir into flour mixture until dough comes together. Form into ball and flatten into disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). On work surface, roll out pastry between 2 large sheets of parchment paper, lightly dusted with flour, into 17- x 12-inch (40 x 30 cm) rectangle. Peel off top parchment paper. Invert onto 15- x 10-inch (40 x 25 cm) rimmed baking sheet. Remove remaining parchment paper. Press pastry onto bottom and up side of pan, trimming as needed. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Prick shell with fork; line with foil or parchment paper. Fill with pie weights or dried beans; bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until pastry is lightly golden and crisp. Let cool completely.
Hazelnut Butter Tart Filling: Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat, swirling in pan for about 2 minutes or until foaming stops and turns light brown colour. Stir in brown sugar; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until just starting to caramelize. Sprinkle with flour and salt; whisk until combined. Remove from heat and scrape into bowl. Stir in International Delight coffee enhancer Hazelnut flavour and vinegar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until blended
Scrape filling into prepared pie crust; smooth top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is puffed and set. Let cool completely on rack.
Pear and Cranberry Topping: Meanwhile, in saucepan set over medium heat, combine 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water, sugar, lemon juice and International Delight coffee enhancer French Vanilla flavour; bring to boil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in pears. Cover and poach pears for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool completely.
Before serving, arrange pears on top of slab pie. Sprinkle with cranberries and hazelnuts.
- 4 cups (1 L) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) shortening, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ice water
Hazelnut Butter Tart Filling:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups (500 mL) packed brown sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) International Delight coffee enhancer Hazelnut flavour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) apple cider vinegar
Pear and Cranberry Topping:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) International Delight coffee enhancer French Vanilla flavour
- 3 ripe pears, cored, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped hazelnuts